Author: Abdulgafar Oladimeji

Abdulgafar Oladimeji is a sports writer with over two decades experience in the industry. As a reporter , he has worked with top major Nigerian newspapers, freelancer with newspaper and broadcast media organizations in Africa, Europe and America. He is a well travelled sports journalists reporting major sports events across the globe.

*The Controversial Reign of Dr. Mohammed Sanusi: A Tale of Power, Politics, and Nationality* By Sylvanus Ofekun  The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) is no stranger to controversy, but the impending decision to extend the tenure of Dr. Mohammed Sanusi as General Secretary for another three years has sparked a fresh wave of scrutiny and debate. As the NFF General Assembly prepares to convene in Asaba, Delta State on October 4, 2024, the fate of Dr. Sanusi hangs in the balance, with his leadership coming under intense criticism and questioning. Dr. Sanusi’s journey within the NFF ranks is a tale of…

Read More

Just –In : Anthony Joshua suspended from boxing By Abdulgafar Oladimeji with agency reports The British Boxing Board has suspended Anthony Joshua from boxing. Joshua two – time heavy weight boxing champion was slammed with the suspension, following his defeat to Daniel Dubois. The 34 years old suffered defeat in front of a massive crowd  at an  historic crowd attendant bout held at Wembley last weekend. The suspension is part of  laid down standard procedural provisions , after his defeat to Dubois, sahelsportsnews.com checks revealed . The suspension is part of safety procedures, for boxers, which provides that  Joshua should…

Read More

Nigeria’s sports ministry confirm alleged purchase of official  vehicle worth N150m By Abdulgafar Oladimeji with Agency report Nigeria’s Federal Ministry of Sports Development has  confirmed the delivery to it of official  vehicle allegedly worth  N150 million. The ministry in efforts to debunk the widely circulated media reports  that the minister of sports, John Enoh  had purchased an official vehicle worth  N150m car amidst  worsening economy had  issued a rebuttal. The ministry ‘s director of information and PR  Kehinde Ajayi {Mrs), Director (Information and PR) in the Ministry,  in the refutation said “ Contrary to the article’s claim of financial recklessness,…

Read More

US, Canada Gold Cup 2025 : Concacaf announces host cities and stadiums Concacaf has announced key details about the 2025 Gold Cup, the Confederation’s flagship men’s national team championship, including the date for the tournament draw, match dates and the identity of the 14 stadiums in the United States and Canada that will host the competition’s matches. The 18th edition of the competition will be played next summer, between June 14 and July 6, and will feature 16 men’s national teams. Just one year out from the FIFA World Cup 2026, the Gold Cup will provide a highly competitive tournament…

Read More

Eguavoen still in- charge of Super Eagles – NFF The Executive Committee of Nigeria Football Federation on Thursday approved the recommendation of its Technical and Development Sub-Committee for the Federation’s Technical Director, Coach Augustine Eguavoen to continue in his role as Head Coach of the Super Eagles, and lead the team in its 2025 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying matches against Libya next month. The 58-year-old, in temporary charge of the squad he had led three times previously, steered the three-time African champions to a 3-0 defeat of Benin Republic and scoreless draw with Rwanda in Matchdays 1 and 2…

Read More

UEFA shop for venue  to host  2027 champions league final UEFA is looking for a new host for the 2027 Champions League final after a new twist in the saga over the redevelopment of the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza at San Siro. A UEFA statement said: “As the municipality of Milano could not guarantee that the San Siro stadium and its surroundings would not be affected by refurbishment works in the period of the 2027 UEFA Champions League final, it was decided not to assign the final to Milan.” The bidding process is being reopened with a decision expected next May…

Read More

SWAN  president  , Galadima task sports writers on factual reporting By Abdulgafar Oladimeji The president, Sports Writers Association of Nigeria , SWAN , Benjamin Isaiah has urged sports journalism practitioners to stand up to the task of factual reporting to protect  their trade from deteriorating. He said factual reporting is  the bedrock of credible practice of sports journalism, adding that, sports journalists must posses integrity to be able to excel in the trade. Speaking at the opening ceremony at the one day capacity building programme, on Effective practice of sports journalism organized by SWAN Kano chapter  held at the premises…

Read More

Former African best right winger,  Baba Otu says Nigerian sports veterans are dying in regrets , applauds   Odegbami, Onyema, Air Peace  By Abdulgafar Oladimeji Former African  best winger, Baba Otu Mohammed has cried out that athletes that sacrificed their active years  serving   Nigeria are been  left to  die in regrets. He lamented that, Nigeria has failed to create the culture of giving   honour to their sports heroes, who had brought national pride  to the nation in their sports hey days. Baba Otu in a telephone chat with our correspondent  said  that giving honour to sports heroes is fundamental to national…

Read More

Nigeria: Football can take criminals away from the street says IGP Egbetokun Nigeria’s Inspector General of police,  Mr Kayode Egbetokun , Wednesday said that  the game of football  posses the potency to dissipate crime  and serve as a tool for the reform of  criminal elements. Speaking during a courtesy visit by a team of NFF chieftains led by the President, Alhaji Ibrahim Musa Gusau, Egbetokun admitted that crime rate does decline around the country whenever any National Team or Club of choice of football adherents are on duty. “The Nigeria Police Force recognizes and appreciates the potential of football to…

Read More

African football giants, Egypt face world cup ban African football power house, Pharoahs of Egypt risk been barred from  competing at the 2026 world cup. The looming  ban  may arise  as a result of  the financial dispute between the Egyptian football Association, EFA  versus  a Swiss based company. The Swiss company  arranges  international matches for the Egyptians . In December 5, 2023, FIFA tribunal on the matter had issued a ruling in favor of the Swiss company. In February 2024, FIFA disciplinary  committee increased additional penalties on EFA with conditions that the penalties be offset within 30 days. The failure…

Read More